Saturday, September 13, 2008

RWM Tops 10,000

As a person new to web publishing, I am excited and encouraged that the Real World Math website had 10,000+ hits over the summer. While this number may not seem large in relation to other sites, I am pleased that so many people have viewed it in its first four months. I hope a large portion of those visitors are now actually implementing the lessons in their classrooms. As always, any feedback on the website or lesson materials is greatly appreciated.

I am introducing RWM lessons to a new batch of students this year. So far, the students have reacted positively to any effort that takes them outside of their math textbooks. Unfortunately the first lessons normally turn out to be an exercise on synchronizing e-mail accounts. To anyone starting out there, I recommend having your students create a Gmail account specifically for the purpose of receiving and submitting school assignments. As mentioned in the previous post, I have taken the approach of teaching Google Earth skills as part of the first activities. The students have learned how to send Google Earth kmz files via e-mail, create and annotate folders, and draw paths. I am confident this preparation will help to eliminate problems in future lessons.

Good luck with the lessons and keep the hits coming!

2 comments:

Musikero671 said...

More power to you, Tom! Your site is a proof of your dedication and commitment to excellence in education. I am inspired with your work. May you inspire a lot more students in your class to be the best they can be!

Anonymous said...

Hello again. I'm working on Math 2.0 in Gran Canaria, SPAIN. The main goal is to do real world math, as well... ;O) See this [1] and enjoy!! It's written in spanish but I hope you can figure out the main ideas...

my email: cmorsoc@gmail.com
Carlos Morales Socorro

[1] http://www.smpm.es/Actividades/concursoexperiencias/documentos/i-200-clepsidra.pdf