As promised, after reviewing materials and notes from the summer, I have formed some opinions on what I deem to be the current IT trends. Most of this is based on the websites, software packages, and presentations that I picked up on at the 2010 ISTE convention in Denver.
Several movements are emerging or have emerged for Education in the Web 2.0 environment.
- Greater proliferation of quality online educational content by amateurs and professional developers.
- Increased amount of IT usage and studies of its effectiveness.
- Learning systems or online curricula have been designed for online or interactive whiteboard use. Conceivably, these could take the place of textbooks and include standards-based materials for each state. Many learning systems follow a multiple-choice format and are intentionally directed towards standardized test preparation.
- Packaged administrative solutions for districts or schools with online communication, engagement, and management.
- There is a pedagogical dilemma that exists between many technological solutions versus best education practices.
Most likely, I'll be adding to this post so please revisit it in the future.