Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lift-off

RealWorldMath.org tops 76,000 as a new school year begins. Hopefully even more educators will find the site in the months to come. If you are new to RWM or checking back on its contents, you will find a listing on the Updates page of the recent lessons and activities added over the summer. Refer to this post from the past for tips on how to begin your school year with RWM.

After attending the ISTE Convention in June, I was able to attend the first Google Geo Teachers Institute at the end of July. This was two days of presentations from the Education Outreach team at the Googleplex in Mountain View. There were workshops for Google Earth and SketchUp and speakers from around the country. I've learned some new tricks and made a lot of new friends. Here is a listing of just some of the interesting projects that were shared:
I was also able to finally meet Jerome Burg of Google Lit Trips in person. Jerome and I have been corresponding for several years. He was a great help in getting RealWorldMath up and running.

It's going to take a while to digest and act upon all of the new ideas and products I was exposed to over the summer. I've got a lot of pots on the oven right now, but you can expect more content for the Space Lessons and I have plans for another involving the Oceans' layer.

As always, please don't hesitate in contacting me (4realworldmath@gmail.com) and letting me know what you like, what didn't work, or what you'd like to see more of.

Have a great start on your new year!

No comments: